Carriers are using mobile broadband as their weapon of choice in the fight against the commoditization of voice and falling ARPU. It is therefore imperative that carriers have networks which can consistently and reliably deliver good data performance to their customers.
This study is based on the data speed and latency measurements collected for 94 wireless carriers operating within 28 European countries using a smartphone app. This approach has facilitated the collection of millions of individual test readings from tens of thousands of users who have conducted tests for virtually every mobile carrier in virtually every country in the world. Using these readings, ARCchart has been able to estimate averages for download speed, upload speed, latency and overall network quality, along with a measure of smartphone penetration.
This report shows there is wide variation in the network performance between carriers and there is a genuine risk that carriers which develop a reputation for inferior performance will suffer high churn and an overall loss of subscribers.
Topics of coverage include:
- Research methodology
- The importance of mobile broadband to carriers
- Theoretical versus real-world data speeds
- Analysis and comparison of the performance of country data networks
- Analysis and comparison of the performance of carriers' data networks
- Carrier data throughput profiles
- The factors influencing a carrier’s 3G data speed
- Measuring the ‘quality’ of a network
- The problem of unreliable networks
- iPhone and Android carrier market share
- Country smartphone penetration
Companies and organisations mentioned, discussed or reviewed include:
Belgacom Mobile Belgium
Bite GSM Latvia
Bite GSM Lithuania
KPN Mobile Netherlands
O2 Czech Republic
Swisscom Mobile Switzerland
TDC Mobile Denmark
Telenor Mobil Norway
Telenor Mobil Serbia
Telenor Mobil Sweden
TIM Hellas Greece
T-Mobile Czech Republic
VIP Mobile Serbia
Vodafone Czech Republic
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following
- What are the applications and services driving demand for mobile broadband?
- Which carriers are big supporters of Android devices?
- Why should carriers be concerned about their network’s data performance?
- What is the average data speeds observed in each European country?
- Which country has the best performing networks?
- How does HSPA+ impact data throughput?
- What is the average download, upload and latency supported by each carriers’ networks?
- Which are the carriers with Europe’s best performing broadband network?
- Which smartphone shows better performance – the iPhone or Android?
- Is there a correlation between network maturity and achievable download data speed?
- Which carriers are still reliant on GPRS and EDGE infrastructure?